Suicide Jokes are NOT Okay

Let me just take a moment to reflect on something that is still a problem with in our society. Some may find it funny, but I'm here to tell you that it's not. It's rude and its disrespectful.

Last week, I discovered that Linkin Park's frontman Chester Bennington took his own life on the day of Chris Cornell's birthday, who also had committed suicide.
The death of a musician from any decade is a tragedy for all music fans when someone who some groups of people idolized. When I was a teenager, Linkin Park was the only band I listened to at the moment before turning down the path of heavy metal. I wouldn't say that I was a die-hard fan because there were only a few songs that I liked. My top 3 were: What I've Done, New Divide, and Breaking the Habit. So, today the band is still part of me.

Not long after his death had been confirmed there was already a worldwide reaction. I liked how most of my friends posted their condolences and memories, even if they weren't a fan. That's what I love to see. You don't have to be a fan of Linkin Park to pay your respects. But not everything was sunshine and rainbows, this is where I get to the bad part. 

Some people were actually HAPPY that he was gone; some even said that it was selfish and cowardly for him to take his own life. Bullshit. You know what's really selfish and cowardly? Treating other people; online and in person, disrespectfully that it makes them want to kill themselves. Even sending people death threats online just because they were "annoying" you in a Halo multiplayer match is not very nice either. I don't care if it's the Internet and the power of anonymity can make you do whatever you want, and get away with it. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Others were making jokes like "another shitty musician gone, let's rejoice....blah blah blah" I don't care if you're a fan or Linkin Park or not, but that is so NOT funny. Suicide can be a very scary and traumatizing thing. Even having the mere thought of suicide can scare the people who care about you and vice versa. The worst part about these types of trolls is that people keep feeding them. I don't know why we still do. They trade insults back and forth and it becomes an endless cycle until the insults get personal. If you really hate Internet trolls that much, then the only way to stop them, is to let them starve. Just like how the Forerunners wanted to stop the Flood from spreading.

It just saddens me how the world is sometimes full of nasty people who think these kinds of things are okay when it's not. One of my friends, they had suicidal thoughts. I was scared and didn't want to lose them as a friend and could only imagine how their family would feel. So what did I do? I kept encouraging them to get help and eventually managed to reach out to another member in their family and they took control of the situation from there. Now, that friend of mine is doing much better in life. 

When you're going through this sort of thing, whether it's you with those thoughts, or someone you care about, you will begin to understand how frightening suicide is and there is always help out there such as your local suicide hotline. Although it is sad that Chester was unable to overcome his struggles with alcoholism and depression, I still stand by my words.

It all comes down to a little thing called respect. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything. When Chris Cornell killed himself, I did not know him as a musician, so I didn't say anything and wouldn't dream of saying anything negative, because unlike some people: I know there are healthier ways to vent if you're insecure or having a bad day, than taking it out on the Internet on someone else who did nothing to you, or something that happened.

We need to speak up about stopping trolls and being against jokes about suicide, because it's not okay. You never know if the next person who takes their own life, after struggling with any sort of problem, happens to be someone you care about. You wouldn't want trolls and hateful people who don't know what respect is, to start hating on them and making jokes, would you?

👽Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sabaton - The Last Stand Track by Track Review

Attero Dominatus - This Soldier's Screaming

First Night With Lordi - All Inclusive