You Humans Sought The Didact, You Shall Have Her

The title pretty much says it all. That's right, I did decide to do another project after all.

The truth is I've wanted to do this for a long time; long before I thought of the idea of making Frollo's rings. It was two years ago where I dove into Halo's lore on the Forerunners most notable the Ur-Didact.

It's always been a challenge for me to like that character particularly because many people never give him a chance after what they saw in the game. On the other hand, others thought I was weird and obsessed unable to understand why I chose to admire this character rather than do what everyone else was doing in this community. The hardest part though, is dealing with the fact that you will not get what you want from the company because your unique tastes mean nothing to them. They know business and only cater to the mainstream.


I wanted to get the Didact's emblem for my Spartan in Halo 5. 343 repeatedly refused to give it to me, no matter how many times I requested it on the forums, hell I even tweeted to one of the guys supposedly in charge of making the emblems and suggested it. They know what it looks like right?! But no matter what I did, they never gave it to me, yet they would make other new emblems in the game updates. That's what gaming industries do now, they only make little pointless things and anything specific will be rejected. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who wanted this as an emblem, but unfortunately, I am a nobody in the general Halo community. (well not entirely, if we looked at the lore community of Halo then I am a somebody there!)

I eventually gave up on pestering 343 for this tiny request and remembered a year ago I once said I wish I had the Didact's emblem around my neck instead. Once I learned how to use Shapeways, I decided now was the time to revisit this project once Frollo's rings were done. It was a piece of cake: used their pendant creator, uploaded an image of the Didact's emblem. Voila!


The only issue is that there's supposed to be a rectangle above the hexagon, but when the image uploaded I guess Shapeways doesn't include parts that aren't "attached" to the main design, but it's close enough? Of course I had to order a chain separately and I went for a choker. I really should have taken into consideration how big I wanted the loop to be, but never did because I had to tweak the chain a little just to get the pendant on! Well, you gotta do what you gotta do right?

Just like Frollo, I wanted to have a piece of the Didact to have with me in my daily life, so I chose his Forerunner emblem

Here it is again, and I can tell you that it suits me perfectly as my title I have given myself in the Halo universe. The third Didact in a flesh, it's like my identity in this franchise has come to life almost. The add of having Didact armor would make it complete!

I am also glad that I gave up pursuing 343 with my request once I chose to make this necklace because I realized that it has more value than an emblem in a video game. Just like what happened that made me quit SWGOH when I was trying to unlock Plo Koon. There's no value in a digital copy of it.

So, what is my next 3D print project? Well, let's see what the future holds and I'll probably come up with something new.

👽Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sabaton - The Last Stand Track by Track Review

Attero Dominatus - This Soldier's Screaming

First Night With Lordi - All Inclusive