Critter Corner

We all have that special little place in our homes that we consider precious. No matter our age, it remains to be sacred.

I love my stuffed animals just as much as I love my action figures. Some of them have been with me since I was just a little pyjak.

Behold my sanctuary:

If you dare judge, it's been nice knowing you.
So before I get into it, I'll tell you their names, unfortunately this isn't all of them but it's a small number and these plushies are so precious to me, you have no idea.

So there's Optimus and Palkia, obviously. The white bear with the worn our nose: his name is Stanley. I got him when I was just a baby, and he's been here a long time, in fact, he's like a son to me. We've been through so much together.

The bunny in the dress is Estella. To me it didn't seem like a common name with an e so I went with that. She and Stanley are dating. 

The brown bear never has had a name so I just call him brown bear. I couldn't think of a good name for him, but he is Stanley's best friend. 

The white rabbit's name is Cynthia, I forget where I got her but she was given to me when I was twelve. Just below my dragon poster is a Hello Kitty cuddle pillow and a blue baby dragon with pink wings. I call him Paarthurnax, yes named after the Greybeards' leader. 

Finally, behind Estella is a bumblebee coloured fish named Bubbles. He (scratch that, it's a she according to the Ty website, shit I did not know that!) is actually part of the Beanie Babies series but was retired in 1997. Bubbles is actually one of the plushies out of all the ones that I own, that I remember when I got her the most. I was out at the mall with a family friend and saw her at one of the promotional booths. I fell in love with her and begged to have her but couldn't. Then a week later when that friend came to visit me once again, she had a present for me. I opened it up, and it was Bubbles. I was so happy, and I assumed that I claimed her before she was retired from Ty. Like I said, I was a little pyjak back then.

Look up Bubbles in the TyCollector website run by collectors and you'll know what she looks like.

Palkia was a 16th birthday present that I got from eBay, and Optimus was a Christmas present in 2010, I saw him under the tree and he wasn't wrapped. I had a heart attack.

So, why do I still have all my soft buddies twenty years later? Because, just like my action figures, my lightsaber and other nooks and crannies I've got.....they are very special to me. Wherever I go, they go with me.

I can't stand what society says about having stuffed animals after the age of 20, especially if you're a collector. I don't think it's childish, ridiculous or in any way harmful. My aunt has a stuffed animal that reminds her of her mom (my Nana) when she died. I'm not a collector, but I used to have tons of stuffed animals when I was little, but then I gave most of them away. 

The ones on my bed however, are not the only ones. On my shelf I have two white cats (one of them I made), a unicorn (that I made as well), Arthur, a lamb, and a few bears. But the most precious ones go on my bed.

Do I sleep with them? As a matter of fact, I'm not afraid to admit that yes I do, not every night though, but there shouldn't be anything wrong with that either.

When I meet people online or in person who say that stuffed animals are childish and should be given to your kids, I get very offended because of how precious they have been to me for over ten years. Having stuffed animals, just gives me a very heartwarming feeling that I can't just let them go.

So yeah, when that value I have in them is disrespected, I hate it. What if I don't want to have children? What I want to keep the things that are special to me in general? In your face. 

I was actually blocked on Facebook by someone who clearly did not understand the value I have in my little buddies, and I thought that person was my friend whom I met in high school. Oh well, it's part of life where these people come and go, and then you find out who your real friends are who respect it.

I spend a lot of time thinking about what I want my future apartment to look like. I know I would like a glass curio to display my action figures..including my Funko ones, a place for my lightsaber, and my stuffed animals, well I am definitely NOT putting them away in boxes in my closet. I don't give a damn if I put them on my bed and visitors see it. It's my home, people make comments that's their problem. I'm not going to let someone's opinion dictate how to live my life and what I should do to make myself happy.

Since you didn't get to see Bubbles, here she is. Twenty years later she still loves to give me kisses
So, to anyone in society who thinks having stuffed animals, toys, action figures, etc. if you're 20, 30 or 40+, stop telling us it's childish and stupid. It doesn't hurt anyone, if it makes you happy then it makes you happy.

That's all that matters. Don't let anyone tell you you're too old for your little buddies, because the truth is, you're not and you never will be.

-Emily


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sabaton - The Last Stand Track by Track Review

Attero Dominatus - This Soldier's Screaming

First Night With Lordi - All Inclusive