A TFCon Dream Come True

This is probably one of the most special days of my entire life. I've been waiting for this day for months and it finally came!

I first heard about TFCon last summer from a friend in college and decided to attend. It was a blast, and I wanted to go again this year. I was even more desperate to not miss out when I heard Peter Cullen was going to be there, so I splurged the day it was announced VIP tickets were available, and it was worth it!



I woke up really early this morning to get ready,
Turns out, I wasn't the only person in this dress. There were two other girls wearing it too! Nothing like chatting with fellow fans in the same outfit or something similar.

We got to the hotel, got our lanyards, and walked around for a bit admiring the scenery of being in Transformers Heaven. There were so many action figures as usual, but I can't really pick one to buy. Most of the people at these conventions are big collectors, and I'm not one of them. So I did get a few trinkets but only small ones: two pairs of earrings Autobot and Decepticon, a homemade necklace with Optimus on it, and an Autobot patch for my vest.

I was so desperate, that we entered the area of the hotel where the VIP session was going to be, early. We were sitting in an auditorium with the G1 Transformers cartoon playing overhead on the wall. I wondered if he was going to come out and greet us all, I wasn't totally certain until the staff came in to explain what was going to happen. I knew for a fact that this was going to be a special memory.

I was shaking inside the whole time I stood in line when it was our turn to go in. I caught glimpse of Mr. Cullen in the back of the room and thought to myself "Wow, I thought he was taller," and "At last.....this princess shall meet her prince charming".

When I approached him and shook his hand, I gave him my name, told him why I loved Optimus so much, and how he has been a role model to me for 5 years. But I think what touched his heart the most was when I told him that without Optimus, I would not be the person that I am today. He smiled, then we hugged and he kissed me on the cheek during that hug. I died inside. <3 (told you I was gonna die inside! But I know that I'm definitely not the only fan that he's kissed) And here we are:

Honestly, he is so sweet in person, I'm trying not to cry in this picture!

I didn't get a chance to ask him something on my mind related to Optimus, or ask him to say one of my favourite lines but I did get something signed of course and here it is:

Turns out I decided to make a new drawing with Optimus's TFP version since around that time, I had finished watching the series. I spent weeks on this drawing after purchasing those tickets, but I managed to finish it months before the event. I think I may have done the outlining wrong, because some things appear to be darker, but turns out that didn't matter. I showed him the drawing and he loved it. As planned, I got him to custom sign it. I knew I wanted it to start with "To Emily...." but I didn't know what to put below that so "Autobots....roll out!" was the first thing that popped into my head. "Till all are one" would have been my second choice or "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" He said that my drawing deserved to be signed in gold, and when I told him that that was me sitting on Optimus's shoulder in the drawing he said "Well, now we're together forever" 

I can't describe to you how red my cheeks were during the whole meet & greet. I felt like any minute now I was going to start crying, but I never did. As soon as I walked out of the VIP room at the end, I quickly fought back tears of joy, or any source of crazy fangirl behavior, and held it in for the rest of the time I was at the convention. But when I got home I started giggling hysterically for bit.

At first, I was surprised that there didn't seem to be as many people cosplaying this year. Even though I don't cosplay yet, I love seeing other people's cosplays. Turns out all the cosplayers showed up later in the day for the costume contest.

First I ran into this cosplay, which was pretty awesome, looks so much like the real G1 Optimus. The one praise I can give for cosplay, is it looks almost identical to the character itself. Last year someone did a cosplay of the Autobot Prowl which I for a second thought was the real thing!

Opposites attract! Turns out this is the same guy I ran into at TFCon last year who did an Optimus cosplay, only this time he's Megatron. How do people find the time to make these things? I should add "do a cosplay" to my bucket list. The only problem is that I don't know who I should cosplay as.

So for the rest of the time we were there, we were just wandering around talking to fans about Transformers and other nerdy subjects. I love interacting with the subcultures I'm in, because I feel so lonely at home as part of them, but go to things like this: conventions, concerts, whatever and we're all a big family!

I'd say, I am so happy that I got the opportunity to meet Peter Cullen. I have been dreaming about meeting him for 5 years, even before I knew his name and that he did Optimus's voice from the G1, all the way to the movies. I found out who he was when I was watching the 2007 movie and decided to find the voice cast. If I did get a chance to talk to him longer, I would have told him that the Optimus I love is the compassionate one and not the violent one. I'm pretty sure he's not too pleased about the way Optimus has changed in the movies. I would have asked him about that. 

Anyway, my dream came true, and that's what really matters. Sometimes you have to wait a while and take the opportunity when it comes, because you may not get another chance, even if you are 100% certain that you will, don't miss out on it if it's something you've been wanting to do, or have happen.

Goodnight readers, I think I'm going to listen to my playlist of love songs that make me think of Optimus tomorrow afternoon.

-Emily


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sabaton - The Last Stand Track by Track Review

Attero Dominatus - This Soldier's Screaming

First Night With Lordi - All Inclusive